Saturday, January 30, 2010

National Days

Do you have any idea how many of these there are?! I found a website that lists thousands--not sure if its a complete list or not, but they swear these are all real days designated by somebody. We could go crazy trying to celebrate them all. I did go through and pick out a few for February. And let me just say that for anyone who dreads the winter and the lack of celebrating once the December holidays are over just needs to dig a little deeper because this is one busy month!

Feb. 1--Give Kids a Smile Day (I hope I do that everyday, but I think having a whole day where I try to make all our interactions positive, at least from my side, would be awesome.)

Feb. 2--Groundhog Day, of course

Feb. 9--Read in the Bathtub Day--this is my type of holiday!!!!

Feb. 11--National Shut-In Visitation Day--I think this would be a good one with the kids. I've been wanting to find some service we can do together, so maybe we'll take treats to a few of the older people we know who can't get out much.

Feb. 14--Chinese New Year--We had already decided that we weren't going to do anything much for Valentines Day. Like I told Daddy-o, I hope he loves me every day (and he does!), so who cares. And we can enjoy going out to eat a lot more if its not so crowded. So Chinese food at home sounds great!

Feb. 16--Pancake Tuesday. We do this one every year--love it!

Feb. 17--Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. Same as above.

FEb. 19--Chocolate Mint Day--who can pass that up? I think some of our favorite brownies are called for.

Feb. 22--Single Tasking Day. This is exactly what I need to keep me focused on my New Years' Resolution.

February is also Bake for Family Fun month, Grapefruit month, Pull Your Sofa Off The Wall Month (already done!), National Pet Dental Month (Molly needs to get into the vet anyway), as well as the better known Black History Month and I skipped about 329 other things! I think we'll stick to this for now. Maybe there is such a thing as too much celebrating.

2 comments:

soybeanlover said...

I've looked at similar sites, but that one is by far the most extensive!!!

One of our favorite random holidays to celebrate is International Talk like a Pirate Day on September 19th. I try to make Caribbean food(lots of pineapple), and we play pirates.

It's so fun to do random holidays!

Deborah said...

I love this website link! What a great idea - I love the ones you chose to celebrate. I was thinking about trying the Iconvenience Yourself Day....wonder what to do now....